Thursday I posted on my blog, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ asking for suggestions about what you would like to see at MLA this year in Seattle. Even though I am leaving tomorrow morning to view the facilities, please keep those ideas coming. Much can be done via email. The only suggestions I am discouraging are program session ideas. Much of the meeting’s programs are done by the MLA Sections and SIGs very early in the planning process (2013 suggestions are already underway), so if you want to see better, different, more programs then you really need to communicate this with your Section or SIG!
I thought I would share some (non program session) suggestions from people with the hope that it might jog some minds and generate more ideas. (Note: I am just listing ideas, I am not endorsing them or making any promises. This is just to get the brainstorming going.)
- Bigger sessions rooms with more aisles so people can scoot in and out more easily.
- Coffee breaks
- Conference WiFi
- Behind the scenes tour of Seattle Public Library
- Wine tour/tasting
- Space Needle excursions
- Coupons/Discounts to restaurants in the restaurant guide
- 7th Inning Stretch get together/meet and mingle with hot dogs, brats, beer, (stadium food).
- Krafty catching a flying fish at Pike Place Market….ew…I would do it though if I knew how/what to do to do it.
- More time to visit the exhibit hall
So do you have any other ideas? What can make this meeting more informative, comfortable, enjoyable, fun for you? Keep your comments coming!